Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Brief History of Katherine Day 02.


Objective:
Your first love.



Really? The 2nd day and we already talk about love. I guess it makes sense though. You can tell a lot about someone by the people they choose to love.

My first love could very well be chocolate. Or the Snoopy stuffed animal I carried with me for about 7 years of my life. Or the boy who was French in my Kindergarten class; he brought me presents from France every Summer.

But those I suppose are just beating around the bush. It really depends on how you define love. To me love is not a term that can be thrown around and easily replaced with the words "like" or "infatuation". To me, love is real. But, there are several types of love.

That being said, yes, I have had a first love. If we are talking "crush-love" then that began in 5th grade when I moved into our current house and I met "70's Dude". I'm not kidding. My best friend and I called him that. That was our code name for him. We played together. We walked to and from school together. I pretended he was awkward and that I was not attracted to his shyness or his lack of things to say to me. He pretended that I had cooties when his friends were around. He made his little sister tell me he liked me. We jumped on the tramp and went to soccer tournaments with our families together. He was my best friend. I haven't talked to him much since about 7th or 8th grade. Jr. High happened and it was all weird and hasn't been the same since. But if he happened to talk to me again, we'd have a lot of catching up to do. I'm sure we could be the best of friends if he'd let me. But I was never good at reading his mind, and he was never good at explaining exactly what he wanted. But we were great together.


My first real love I guess you could say, the one that can be classified as a "real first love"...
Oh, it's a beautiful story.
We met at Lagoon, that silly amusement park. I was with my family, he was with his friend and two other girls. He kept staring at me, I noticed, but didn't pay much attention. He followed me...lost me...found me...followed again...watched me sit at a table...finally came over...then gave me his number...then told me we should get together later and "go on the Ferris wheel because that's more romantic." I was smitten, but I could tell he had experience. I played his little game. We went on the Ferris wheel at night with my cousin on board (because I was afraid to go alone) and he was fine with it. He and I chatted...he more than I because for some reason, I just didn't have much to say. He was nervous and filled the silence with his easy going conversation. After we got off he asked, "Would it be completely inappropriate if I gave you a hug?" I smiled and said, "Of course not." and proceeded to hug him. It's been a roller coaster of ups and downs since then. But for him, I truly cared. For him, I sacrificed a lot. For him, I gave away my whole heart, something I was taught never to do. We made CD's, playlists, endless amounts of memories, poems, songs, drawings, bracelets, wrote letters to each other, the whole enchilada. Ah love...

Love is confusing, but worth the time. Love is essential for human beings to thrive and grow and just live. We all want to be loved. Love can be painful of course, but that is one of the things that makes it that much more desirable. A broken heart means you have tried for something.

Right now though, I love my footie pajamas.

Much Love & Spontaneity,

Katherine



1 comment:

  1. I love that story. But you talk as if it is over? Is it over?
    Be honest.. Am I dragging it out too long hoping that it will get better?..

    I love you Katherine. With the real kind of love. And I don't want to stop..

    - The Boy From Lagoon

    ReplyDelete